Angel Cake with Berries and Cream
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This heavenly dessert starts with angel food cake. A homemade or bakery cake will do. Top cubes of cake with creamy custard and fresh berries.
Source of recipe: LACTAID®
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups LACTAID reduced-fat milk
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel
- 3 cups cubed angel food cake
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries
- Fresh mint (optional)
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in 2 cups LACTAID® reduced-fat milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk about half of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Return all of egg mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Quickly cool custard by placing saucepan into a bowl half-filled with ice water for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in vanilla and lemon or orange peel. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Divide angel food cake cubes among six individual dessert dishes. Fold whipped topping into chilled custard. Spoon custard mixture over the cake cubes. Sprinkle with berries. If desired, garnish with fresh mint.