Baked Mozzarella Sticks
These baked cheese sticks are a tasty alternative to the popular fried cheese appetizer that is often on restaurant menus.
- 1 (12 ounce) package Mozzarella string cheese
- 2 each eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce, warmed optional
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350˚. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Remove cheese from packaging and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg until foamy. In small non-stick pan, mix Italian seasoning with bread crumbs and place over a medium heat. Cook and stir bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Dip one piece of string cheese in egg until coated and then into toasted bread crumbs, coating completely. Redip the string cheese in egg and again into the bread crumbs, if desired. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining string cheese and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Spray string cheese lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until heated through (cheese may melt slightly and loose shape. Simply press it back into place).
Suggested serving: Pair with warmed marinara sauce for dipping. Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy