Regardless of what time of day these pancakes are served, they are always a hit. What could be more comforting and satisfying than fluffy pancakes and sweet caramelized bananas served with golden maple syrup and topped with more bananas, butter and pecans?
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups LACTAID® reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced bananas 1/4-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, for cooking for a healthier option, use cooking spray instead of oil
- Maple syrup and chopped pecans optional
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl.
- Melt half of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, and set aside.
- Whisk eggs lightly in a medium bowl. Add LACTAID® reduced-fat milk, vanilla and 3 tablespoons melted butter, whisking until well mixed. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture, stirring until batter is smooth and thick.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add banana slices and cook on both sides until caramelized and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Stir half of the cooked banana slices into the batter. Reserve the remaining banana slices for topping the pancakes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Measure 1/2 cup batter per pancake and pour onto pan or griddle when oil is hot (the surface will appear to shimmer when oil is the correct temperature). Cook until bubbles appear around edges of the pancakes. Flip and cook until brown on the other side. Remove from pan, setting aside in a warm oven. Carefully wipe out pan or griddle and add more oil if necessary.
- To serve, arrange the pancakes on individual plates or on a serving platter and top with the reserved caramelized bananas, syrup, and pecans.
Source of recipe: Makers of LACTAID® brand products