Ice cream is your typical go-to dessert when your sweet tooth just won’t go away and it’s a fan favorite on a hot summer day or even as a late-night snack. TikTok snacks are on the rise with the viral fruit rollup and ice cream combinations. It was only a matter of time before we saw this cottage cheese ice cream hack that puts a twist on traditional homemade ice cream.
You might be thinking, what even is cottage cheese? Cottage cheese is a fresh cheese made of curds and cream. It has a mild, milky flavor and its texture is soft and creamy. What’s even better is cottage cheese is packed with protein. One cup of 2% cottage cheese has 24 grams of protein. Maria Breen, MS, RD, CSSD, LD, sports dietitian for the UGA Bulldogs, shared that “Cottage cheese is one of my go-to food recommendations for athletes who need to add more protein into their day-to-day fueling.”
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup strawberries
- Maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Chopped strawberries to top
- Place the cottage cheese, strawberries, and sweetener of choice into a blender and mix for a few seconds.
- Place the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for around 5 hours.
- Make sure to mix together every couple of hours to avoid freezing solid.
- Scoop ice cream into a bowl, add a few extra strawberry slices, and enjoy!
The best thing about this recipe is that there are a variety of different flavors you can use, like replacing the strawberries with mango or raspberries. You can even make this dessert into a chocolate dream by using cocoa powder or chocolate milk!
For more ways to include cottage cheese into your diet, check out cottage cheese pancakes or baked oats to have a protein-packed breakfast! And remember to drink milk, a simple, delicious, and aﬀordable source of complete protein, fueling your body with 9 essential amino acids.