August 2nd is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day and we are celebrating the versatility of this wonderful summer treat.
When you hear “ice cream sandwich,” the classic chocolate and vanilla treat might come to mind, but there is so much more you can do with this delicious novelty! No need to be limited to the standard or avoid the treat because of lactose intolerance with a world of ingredients and flavor combinations to explore!
Making ice cream sandwiches is a fun activity the whole family will love! Here are 3 easy steps to building your own creative ice cream sandwich, including using some healthier ingredients like frozen yogurt, whole grain waffles, fruit, as well as gluten-free options.
Step 1: Choose Your Sandwich Type
- Whole Grain Frozen Waffle (re-heated and cooled)
- Rice Krispy Treat (gluten-free)
- Graham Crackers
- Grilled and Cooled Pineapple Slices
Step 2: Choose Your Favorite Frozen Dairy Treat
- Frozen Yogurt
- Ice Cream
- Lactose-free Ice Cream
Step 3: Choose Your Dip
- Dried Fruit
- Coconut Flakes
- Dark Chocolate Pieces
Some of my favorite combinations include:
- The Blueberry Waffle Frozen Yogurt Sandwich: 1 Whole Grain Waffle Cut in Half + 1/3 Cup Vanilla Frozen Yogurt + Dipped in Dried Blueberries
- The Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispy Ice Cream Sandwich (GF): 1 Rice Krispy Treat (cut in half) + 1/3 Cup Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream + Dipped in Dark Chocolate Pieces
- The Caramel and Pecan Gelato Sandwich: 2 Graham crackers + 1/3 Cup Caramel Gelato + Dipped in Chopped Pecans
- The Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich: 2 slices Grilled Pineapple + 1/3 Cup Key Lime Ice Cream + Dipped in Coconut Flakes
Brittany L. Jones, MS, RD, LD is a Registered Dietitian specializing in meal planning and helping clients improve their relationship with food. She is the owner of the Brittany Jones Nutrition Group, based in Greenville, SC.