Buttermilk Cheese Scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Add a savory touch to the classic scone and you’ve got a perfect grab-and-go breakfast, or cut smaller to serve at a luncheon. Hot pepper jelly or your favorite preserves compliment the cheese and herb combination nicely.
Cook time can range from 20-25 minutes Source of recipe: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese,
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Melted butter (optional)
- Pepper jelly or preserves of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour and next four ingredients until well mixed. Cut butter into small cubes then quickly work it into the mixture (using your fingers or a pastry cutter) until it resembles a coarse meal. Add buttermilk, cheese, ham, scallions and parsley. Gently mix together with a fork until everything is just moistened. Don’t over mix.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, floured work surface and shape into an 8-inch circle, about 1-inch thick. Cut dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer to prepared sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown. Brush with a little melted butter and serve with pepper jelly or preserves if desired.Note: For smaller portions, you can cut into 3-inch circles using a biscuit cutter, but cooking time needs to be reduced to 16-20 minutes.