Celebrate Independence with Yogurt Parfait Cones
Welcome to summer! One of my favorite things about summer is all of the colorful, seasonal fruit. I especially love berries. Fresh berries can make any dish feel fancy without much work, plus they’re bursting with healthful antioxidants and fiber.
These Berry Yogurt Parfait Cones are great for the whole family and couldn’t be any easier to prepare. Take this no-cook dessert to your upcoming Fourth of July parties or the next backyard barbecue and let everyone have fun creating their own parfait cones. The strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries are perfectly patriotic and the waffle cones make for a fun, handheld treat.
Berry Yogurt Parfait Cones
- 12 small waffle or cake cones
- 2 cups vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cinnamon granola
- Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt and peanut butter until smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Rinse fruit and slice the strawberries. Place fruit into separate bowls.
- To assemble, add a spoonful of yogurt/peanut butter mixture to a cone, add fruit, add another layer of yogurt, then top with fruit and granola.
This recipe features Greek yogurt, a delicious dairy food anyone can enjoy, even those with lactose-intolerance. Be sure to choose yogurt with live, active cultures, which help break down the lactose. The protein and calcium-rich Greek yogurt is mixed with peanut butter for a deliciously, creamy parfait filling.
Dairy foods, including yogurt, are essential for bone health, and naturally contain calcium and vitamin D. Non-dairy yogurt substitutes, on the other hand, do not contain these nutrients and may not be fortified with calcium and vitamin D (fortification varies from brand to brand). Rest assured that you and your family can count on dairy foods as a source of important vitamins and minerals. For more information, read about the health benefits of dairy and try more of our delicious dairy recipes.
Check out the dessert recipes collection if you’re looking for more fun and delicious ideas!
Karman Meyer is a registered dietitian/nutritionist based in Nashville, Tennessee. Teaching people easy ways to implement healthy changes into their lifestyle is her passion. Karman blogs at The Nutrition Adventure and is an experienced recipe developer, nutrition writer and public speaker.