Cheddar Cornbread Squares
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Add both flavor and color to basic cornbread with cheese, bell peppers and onions.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy
- 1 package corn muffin (mix, plus ingredients to make mix)
- 1 small onion, (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Prepare corn muffin mix batter as directed on package.
- Spray an 8-inch square or round pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Do not remove cornbread from pan.
- While cornbread is baking, heat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions and pepper; sauté until soft. Stir in oregano; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over baked bread; top with vegetable mixture and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cut into 2-inch squares to serve.