These easy cheese appetizers are perfect for parties and feature a pleasing combination of savory and sweet flavors. Aged cheeses, such as Cheddar, do not contain lactose and are fine for people with a sensitivity to lactose.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup tomato jam
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Combine water and butter in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until butter has melted and water is boiling.
- Once water is boiling, stir in flour. Continue to stir, still over high heat, until mixture comes together as a ball of dough, just about one minute.
- Transfer flour mixture to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Turn onto the lowest speed. Add one egg at a time, and then turn to high speed and whip until the dough is sticky. Incorporate cheese and black pepper and whip together another 30 seconds.
- Drop heaping teaspoons of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and poke a hole in each puff with a wooden pick. Allow puffs to cool enough to touch. Spoon about 1 teaspoon tomato jam into center of each puff. Serve warm.
Serving size: 3 puffs Source of recipe: Chef Caitlin Steininger