Cheesy Corn Fritters
White cheddar cheese not only makes the perfect pairing for the sweet, fresh corn but help hold the fritters together. If sweet summer corn isn’t in season, substitute high quality canned corn.
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil for frying
Yogurt Dipping Sauce (Yield: 1 Cup)
- 1 5.3-ounce container plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large mixing bowl combine corn kernels, cheese and next eight ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Sprinkle flour over mixture and gently combine. Set aside to rest while preparing yogurt sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, herbs and remaining spices until well combined. Transfer to a small serving dish, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Working in batches depending on pan size, heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Using a 1-ounce scooper, drop the fritter batter into pan, leaving space between for them to spread. Using the back of a spatula, gently press down on the batter to flatten the fritters. Once edges are golden, flip fritters over and continue cooking, approximately 3-4 minutes each. Remove from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate. Repeat batches until all batter is used. Transfer to serving plates or platter. Serve immediately or at room temperature with yogurt sauce.
Ease: Easy Yield: 24-26 fritters Recipe Source: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef