Chipotle Grits Breakfast Bowl
Need to refuel after a vigorous workout? This bowl checks all the boxes and is packed with protein and just the right amount of heat. Perfect for weekend brunch too!
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 fried eggs
- 4 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Store bought fresh Pico de Gallo
- Bring the milk, water and salt just to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the grits and reduce heat to low. Simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the grits from the heat. Stir in the shredded cheese, butter and chipotle peppers.
- Portion the grits into four bowls. Divide spinach evenly among each bowl, stirring to wilt.
- Place a fried egg on top and top with remaining ingredients. Garnish with Pico de Gallo.
Source of recipe: Rebecca Gordon, Buttermilk Lipstick