Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Icing
Low-lactose mascarpone cheese is used instead of cream cheese for the sweet icing on these indulgent cupcakes. Lactose-free half-and-half adds extra moistness to the rich chocolate cake.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons bourbon extract
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup lactose-free half-and-half
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Stir 6 tablespoons unsalted butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and then bourbon extract, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together yogurt and water.
- Add one half of dry ingredients to creamed butter and stir. Add yogurt mixture and stir. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until combined completely. Scoop batter into lined cupcake pans and bake 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- While cupcakes bake, prepare ganache: Finely chop chocolate and place in a bowl with orange zest. Place half-and-half in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Set aside to cool.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool completely. Dip tops of cooled cupcakes into ganache to cover; let rest to harden. Just before serving, snip a corner of the bag of icing and pipe a swirl onto each ganache-covered cupcake.
- You can substitute actual bourbon for the bourbon extract.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftover ganache and use to make homemade truffles. Roll the ganache into 1-inch balls roll in cocoa powder.
- To vary the flavor of the icing, you can replace the orange zest with other citrus zests, pumpkin pie spice, or fruit preserves.
- Because of the dairy, refrigerate all the components and wait to assemble these until just before serving; then, refrigerate leftovers.