Instead of oatmeal for breakfast, enjoy this hearty grain dish, made with high-protein quinoa and flavored with fresh cranberries and orange juice.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups lactose-free milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚.
- Place cranberries and orange juice in a medium sauce pan, and heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes, or until cranberries have "popped" and are cooked through.
- Add quinoa, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and orange zest to orange juice and cranberry mixture, and heat until boiling. Turn heat down to medium low and cover two-thirds of the saucepan with lid.
- Cook mixture for 30 minutes, or until thickened. Stir every 3-5 minutes to prevent sticking.
- While quinoa is cooking, place sliced almonds on a baking sheet, and bake in oven for 4-5 minutes or until lightly brown and toasted.
- Divide quinoa equally into seven serving dishes, and top with toasted almonds. Serve warm, or cover and chill.
Yield may be 6-8 servings. Source of recipe: EA Stewart