Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Pureed roasted potatoes add extra thickness to this low-lactose, broccoli-cheese soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 cups lactose-free milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Additional shredded cheddar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chopped potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast 30 minutes or until soft.
- While potatoes roast, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli florets in a steamer, or microwave safe dish.
- Heat milk and vegetable broth in a saucepan over low heat. Add cheese and nutmeg and stir until melted.
- Once potatoes are done, put all ingredients and half of broccoli into a blender. Blend for 30 to 40 seconds or until smooth. Stir in remaining broccoli. Ladle into serving bowls and top with additional cheese if desired.
Source of recipe: Jessie Erwin