Creamy Slow Cooker Butternut Oatmeal
Steel cut oats hold their shape better than rolled or instant oats when cooked this long slow method. Milk helps make the oatmeal super creamy and adds calcium. For special occasions, consider making an oatmeal bar. Put out toppings such as toasted walnuts, low-fat granola, maple syrup and cinnamon butter.
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Cinnamon for garnish
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker with butter.
- Whisk together first five ingredients (milk through salt) until well blended.
- Add oats, squash and butter to milk mixture. Stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or 4 hours on high. Uncover and stir mixture to incorporate squash and liquids that have risen to the top.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon for serving.
Serving size: 1 1/4 cup Source of recipe: Maureen Callahan, MS, RD