Asparagus and Ricotta Rustic Tart
A quick and easy rustic tart is a great option for a spring brunch, but fancy enough for a dinner party. Using store bought puff pastry makes the perfect vehicle for creamy cow’s milk ricotta paired with nutty Gouda cheese, sweet caramelized onions and spring asparagus stalks.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 12 large squares
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cow's milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1⁄2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 20-22 fresh asparagus stalks ends trimmed
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3-4 slices thin Prosciutto torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl combine cheeses and next four ingredients. Mix together thoroughly; set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface unroll sheet of puff pastry and gently roll out to roughly 10 x 15 inches. Place on prepared baking sheet. Use a paring knife to score a line around the perimeter of the pastry, about 1 inch from the edge, then prick the center with a fork several times to keep it from puffing up.
- Spoon the cheese mixture over the dough inside the scored edges, spreading out to an even layer. Top with caramelized onions in a uniform layer.
- Lay asparagus stalks side-by-side over the cheese and onions, pressing down gently into mixture. Brush edges with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until crust is golden and edges are puffed up.
- Remove from oven and top with torn pieces of prosciutto. Garnish with fresh basil. Cut into 12 squares. Garnish with fresh parmesan cheese if desired.