Buttermilk Banana Bread Muffins
These grab-and-go muffins call to mind the flavor and texture of banana bread. The addition of flaxseed and walnuts adds nuttiness and a double punch of heart-healthy omega-3 fats.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Beat in sugar.
- Combine flour and next four ingredients (flaxseed through cinnamon). Add flour mixture to banana mixture; mix just until blended.
- Spoon batter into a 12-count muffin tin filled with nonstick paper liners. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 teaspoon walnuts and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove muffins to wire rack and cool completely.
Bake time may take 20-25 minutes.
Source of recipe: Maureen Callahan, MS, RD