Cheddar, Pear and Cranberry Muffins
Cheese is a natural pairing with fruit like pears, so what better way to enjoy them together than in a delicious, sweet and savory muffin? Serve just slightly warm with sweet cream butter.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup peeled and diced pear (about 2 medium pears)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons turbinado (raw) sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° and coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and next three ingredients; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together milk, oil and egg until well combined. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moist. Gently fold in pears, cranberries and Cheddar cheese.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling about two-thirds full. Sprinkle each with turbinado sugar. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about five minutes, then remove muffins from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. Serve warm with butter.