Coconut Cream Pie
Enjoy this refreshing, yet decadent Southern dessert staple at your next family gathering.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1⁄2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie. Let cool completely before filling.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt, whisking until well combined. Place on stovetop over medium heat; whisk in milk and coconut cream. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, whisking milk mixture constantly to make sure custard doesn’t burn on the bottom. Once custard begins to bubble, remove from heat. Temper the egg yolks by ladling a spoonful of warm custard into yolks while whisking to combine. Pour egg yolk mixture into saucepan with remaining custard and place back on the heat. Cook custard mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and half the shredded coconut. Transfer to a bowl and place plastic wrap directly over the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- While custard is chilling, place heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and coconut extract in mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until firm peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place remaining half of shredded coconut in a skillet and toast over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly golden brown and fragrant.
- To assemble pie, spoon custard mixture into prepared crust creating an even layer. Top with prepared whipped cream and toasted shredded coconut. Serve immediately or refrigerate.