Creamy Polenta with Wild Mushrooms
This creamy, cheesy polenta topped with a wild mushroom ragú makes a great weeknight meal or shareable dish for a fall gathering. And it doesn’t require much prep time, making it super easy to toss together.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 8-ounce packages fresh wild (fancy) mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sea salt divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground polenta not instant
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley
- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the fresh mushrooms and half the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to soften. Add the garlic and black pepper, continuing to stir. Add beef stock and cook until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Stir in the fresh thyme. Cover and keep warm while making the creamy polenta.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk and seasoning to a soft boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta, stirring until it’s well combined. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue stirring occasionally over the next 10-15 minutes while the mixture thickens. Remove the thickened polenta from the stove and add the butter and cheeses. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- To serve, spoon polenta evenly into individual small serving dishes, top with mushroom ragú and garnish with parsley.