Havarti & Broccoli Rabe Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Creamy Havarti cheese paired with slightly bitter broccoli rabe (or rapini) and salty cured ham takes the traditional grilled ham and cheese sandwich to a whole new level. Just a hint of sweetness from the balsamic syrup gives this sandwich a little extra something special.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
- 2 slices French loaf bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 slices Havarti cheese
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup broccoli rabe, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic syrup (optional)
- In a small pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter. Cook broccoli rabe for approximately 3-4 minutes or just until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a paper towel to drain off excess moisture.
- Heat a nonstick or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Cut the top of garlic clove off and rub on all sides of each slice of bread. Drizzle a little balsamic syrup on the inside of each slice of bread, if desired. Place one slice of Havarti cheese on bread, followed by prosciutto, then broccoli rabe and remaining slice of cheese. Place other slice of bread on top and press down gently to compact. Spread top of bread with softened butter and place buttered side down in heated pan. Cook approximately 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. If necessary, turn heat down so the bread doesn’t burn. While the sandwich is cooking, spread remaining softened butter on top of bread. Flip sandwich over and cook another 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.