Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
Add a rich, nutty flavor to your hot chocolate with toasted hazelnuts and sweet hazelnut syrup. Look for hazelnut syrup at a specialty food store or coffee shop.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 quart chocolate milk
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut syrup (try Monin® brand, found at most coffee shops)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Place toasted hazelnuts in a food processor and grind about 1 minute or until coarsely ground.
- Pour chocolate milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer; add sugar and ground hazelnuts. Reduce heat to a low simmer and slowly add chocolate chunks, stirring occasionally until melted (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Carefully pour hot chocolate mixture through a metal strainer. Discard solids in strainer. Pour hot chocolate into individual mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.
Source of recipe: Chef Scott Campbell, Avenue Restaurant, New York, NY