Kale and White Bean “Panem” Panzanella
This hearty main-dish salad features kale, tomato, white beans, bread cubes and bacon tossed with balsamic vinaigrette and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups thinly sliced kale
- 3⁄4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 strips center-cut bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups stale whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Combine kale, tomato, beans and bacon in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper and paprika; mix well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the dressing to kale mixture and stir to combine. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss in bread, mozzarella and remaining dressing. Top with mozzarella and serve.