Milk and Cookies Layered Cake
Try this new, fun spin on the classic milk and cookies pairing with brownie-like cookies, layered between whipped cream cheese frosting. Just the perfect amount of sweetness! Using an ice cream scoop helps ensure the cookies are the same size and makes portioning easy.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups (12 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese on low speed with a hand-held mixer. Gradually add in powdered sugar, mixing until well combined. Add vanilla and heavy whipping cream; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, giving it the consistency of whipped cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand-held or stand mixer, blend together butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs and continue beating on medium speed. Add milk and vanilla and continue beating for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined. Set bowl aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) and mix thoroughly with a fork, ensuring all ingredients are well combined. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet, mixing on low speed until well combined. Cookie dough will be sticky. Using a standard ice cream scoop sprayed with nonstick cooking spray for easy release, portion out 16-18 cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack and let cookies cool completely before assembling cake.
- Using a cake stand or plate to assemble the cake, place a thin layer of the frosting down first to hold the cookies in place. To make the first layer, use six cookies, placing five of the cookies side-by-side to create a circle, then place one cookie in the middle. Add another heaping layer of the frosting, spreading about an inch away from the cookie edges, repeat the cookie layer with another six cookies. Repeat frosting layer, then use four or five cookies for the third layer, another layer of frosting and finish with remaining cookie and frosting, ensuring the top of the cake is fully covered. Top with chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips if desired.