- Clean and remove hulls from strawberries, then cut into small pieces and divide in half. Set aside a half cup of cut-up strawberries and place the other half in a small mixing bowl, then mash gently with a fork, set aside.
- Combine cream and sweetened condensed milk in mixing bowl and whip on high speed until soft peaks form. Add buttermilk and mix on low until well combined. Gently fold in the mashed strawberries and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a metal loaf pan, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in freezer for one hour.
- Remove the pan, stir in remaining half cup of cut-up strawberries and give the ice cream a good thorough mixing.
- Cover tightly again and place in freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Click here for an instructional cooking video.
Yield: 1 quart
Source of recipe: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef