One-Dish Tandoori Chicken
You don’t need the traditional clay oven to make this creamy and flavorful Indian-inspired one-dish meal. Simplify the recipe and meal prep by using the pre-mixed Tandoori Spice available at most major grocery stores.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided
- 3 tablespoon Tandoori spice mix divided
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cups swiss chard in 1-inch shredded ribbons
- In a large zipper close plastic bag, place chicken thighs, half lime juice, 1 tablespoon Tandoori spice mix, 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro and garlic paste. Close bag securely and toss to coat chicken. Let marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Place butter in large 5-quart cast iron braiser-style pan with lid over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until lightly caramelized. Add marinated chicken thighs, browning on both sides. Deglaze pan with chicken stock and add rice, remaining 2 tablespoons of Tandoori spice, lime juice and salt, stir to combine making sure rice is covered with liquid. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Greek yogurt and turmeric until well combined. Add yogurt mix to chicken and rice mix once 15 minutes is completed, stir until well combined. Add more chicken stock if needed, should have a thick sauce consistency. Spread swiss chard ribbons evenly over top of dish. Cover and cook another 5 minutes until chard is wilted and rice is cooked through. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges if desired.