Red Velvet Cake Trifle
Your guests will certainly be wowed with this show stopper dessert! Using the hot chocolate whipped cream adds a special touch to the classic dessert. Make it easy by using a red velvet cake box mix. Serve in a traditional trifle bowl or make into individual servings using decorative glasses.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 batch Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, buttermilk, water and eggs. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Pour into greased 13×9-inch baking pan and bake per box directions. Remove and let cool completely. Cut or break up into small chunks. Cake can be made a day ahead of time.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed with electric mixer until well combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare a batch of Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream. Gently fold Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream into the cream cheese mix. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the trifle, place a layer of cake pieces into bottom of trifle bowl followed by whipped frosting mix. Keep layering until all cake is used making sure to end with whipped frosting.
- If needed, press down on cake layer each time before adding frosting mix to ensure it all fits in bowl. If desired, top with chocolate shavings, chopped chocolate pieces or chopping pecans.