Southern Peach Cobbler
No matter what time of year, nothing beats a warm scoop of peach cobbler with its perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavors. If fresh peaches aren’t in season, you can use unsweetened frozen peaches. The buttery cake-like top sets this cobbler apart from others. Top with vanilla ice cream for the perfect dessert experience.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced (about 7-8 cups)
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel, core and slice peaches, and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla and spices. Stir until well combined. Set aside to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place milk and butter in a microwave-safe container and cook on HIGH just until butter is melted, about 45 seconds. Stir until well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Gradually pour in milk and butter mixture, whisking until smooth. Mixture should resemble the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour peaches and any juices into a 13-x 9-inch baking dish, spreading into an even layer. Pour batter evenly over peaches; do not stir.
- If desired, sprinkle top with about 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and peaches are bubbly around edges.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with vanilla ice cream.