Strawberry Yogurt Shortcake
These classic strawberry shortcakes feature homemade buttermilk biscuits and a topping of Greek yogurt.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, frozen
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Preheat over to 475°.
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a small bowl and let stand 20-30 minutes.
- Grate frozen butter using large holes of a box grater. Toss together grated butter and flour in a medium bowl. Chill 10 minutes.
- Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk and stir 15 times. Dough will be sticky. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Fold dough in half, so short ends meet. Repeat rolling and folding process four more times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch floured round cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed.
- Place dough rounds on a parchment paper-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at 475° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with melted butter.
- Split biscuits in half. Spoon strawberries evenly over bottom halves of biscuits and top with a dollop of yogurt. Top with remaining biscuit halves. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.