Grand Slam Snack Mix
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
This sweet and salty snack mix is ideal for a healthy snack because of the added protein from the cheese cubes. You can make the snack mix ahead and stir in the cheese just before serving.
- 2 cups whole grain check square cereal (such as Whole Grain Chex)
- 2 cups honey-sweetened oat cereal (such as Honey Nut Cheerios)
- 2 1/2 ounces pretzel sticks (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 8 ounces reduced-fat Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese cubes
- Mix cereals, pretzel sticks and sunflower seed kernels in a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir in honey, oil and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and mix well. Pour over cereal mixture in bow, stirring until evenly coated.
- Spread into a baking pan and bake at 325˚ for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes (be careful not to overcook). Spread on waxed paper or aluminum foil; cool completely.
- Toss with dried cranberries; store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Toss in cheese cubes just before serving.