Greek Chicken Wrap with Tzatziki Herb Yogurt Sauce
These Greek-style chicken wraps are made by filling whole wheat pita bread with chicken, tomato, feta cheese and olives and topping with a vinegary yogurt dressing.
- 2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 cup peeled seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon light Italian dressing
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 kalamata or black olives, pitted and sliced
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next five ingredients, stirring to blend. Add salt if desired (sauce may be made up to 2 hours in advance). Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- To prepare wraps, place chicken breast in a heavy-duty plastic bag and add Italian dressing. Marinate 15 minutes. Pound chicken (using a meat pounder, mallet or the bottom of a skillet) and flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness. Remove chicken from bag.
- Cook chicken breast in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned and cooked through. Place chicken on a cutting board and slice thinly against the grain; set aside.
- Heat pitas in microwave oven 30 seconds. Place one pita on a plate and top with 1/2 cup lettuce and one-fourth of the chicken slices. Sprinkle one-fourth of tomato, onion, feta cheese and olives on top of chicken. Spoon some of the sauce over top and fold in edges of pita. Wrap sandwich in parchment or waxed paper for plating and serving. Repeat with remaining pitas. Serve immediately with additional sauce on the side.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairy