Grilled Chicken Cheddar Casserole with Mushrooms
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
This hearty chicken casserole features the delectable flavors of grilled chicken, carrots and mushrooms combined with creamy pasta.
Source of recipe: Chef John Caputo, Bin 36, Chicago, on behalf of 3-A-Day of Dairy
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms ((4 ounces) )
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Coat a 13-x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Cook and drain pasta according to package directions; keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in milk, mustard, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in onion, carrot, mushrooms and Cheddar until cheese is melted. Remove sauce from heat.
- Mix pasta into sauce and pour into prepared pan. Arrange sliced grilled chicken over pasta. Mix breadcrumbs, parsley and butter together and sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake 25 minutes or until pasta is heated through and edges are bubbling.