Homemade Low-Fat Granola
Make a batch of this low-fat, high-fiber granola to keep on hand for a quick and easy breakfast. Make it a complete meal by adding milk or yogurt and berries. Or spoon it over yogurt for a healthy snack.
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Stir together oatmeal, almonds, cinnamon and salt, if desired, in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk maple syrup, apple juice and vegetable oil; pour over oatmeal mixture and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread mixture in an even layer onto a 15-x-12-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring twice during bake time.
- Cool mixture in the pan before adding raisins. Store granola in an airtight container. To serve: Pour 1 cup of milk over a heaping 1/2 cup of granola. Top with fresh berries, if desired. Serving suggestion: instead of milk, top with 1 cup of fat-free yogurt.
Source of recipe: 3-A-Day of Dairys