Hot Chocolate with Moroccan Spices
Add exotic Moroccan flair to a mug of hot chocolate with cinnamon, cardamom and orange rind.
- 3 cups low-fat chocolate milk, divided
- 2 ounces bittersweet Belgian chocolate, plus 1/2 ounce for garnish
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange rind
- 3 pieces cardamom pods plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Bring 2 cups low-fat chocolate milk to a boil. Add cinnamon sticks, orange rind and cardamom pods in the milk mixture. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely grate chocolate and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a metal strainer, carefully strain out spices from milk mixture. Pour hot milk mixture over chocolate. Stir mixture until well blended. In a saucepan, froth remaining cup low-fat chocolate milk. Pour into individual mugs and top with foam. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, if desired.
Source of recipe: Chef Katy Sparks, Quilty's Restaurant, New York, NY