Lactose Free Snow Pudding
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
This Christmas, mix up this lactose-free pudding dessert and top with "snow" -a lemony egg white gelatin.
Source of recipe: Deanna Segrave-Daly
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Juice from one medium lemon
- 3 egg whites (save yolks for pudding )
- 2 cups 1% lowfat lactose-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the snow, in a large mixing bowl, add gelatin and cold water to soften. Then add boiling water to dissolve gelatin. Whisk in sugar and lemon juice. Set aside and let thicken, stirring occasionally (this will take about 30 minutes.) Once thickened, whisk until frothy.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Add to gelatin mixture and continue to beat until stiff (this will take up to 10 minutes.) Chill mixture.
- For the pudding, using a double boiler or a heavy bottomed pot, whisk together milk and sugar over medium heat. Stir frequently until milk is scalded (hot but not boiling.)
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks, cornstarch and salt. Very slowly, pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour entire contents back into pot. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until pudding thickens (about 7 to 10 minutes.) Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Pour pudding into ramekins and cool slightly (or completely in refrigerator.) Serve with several dollops of lemon "snow" on top.