Light Cheddar and Macaroni
Reduce the fat but keep the flavor of your favorite macaroni and cheese by using low-fat milk and light Cheddar cheese. You can assemble this dish a day ahead and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni, cooked
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
- 3 tablesoons all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Jalapeño Cheddar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400˚ and butter a 3-quart shallow baking dish.
- Melt butter in a saute pan and add panko breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Keep stirring over medium heat until golden brown. Let cool and add 1/2 cup of Cheddar until combined.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat and stir in flour, stirring for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, and simmer.
- Whisk occasionally for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining Cheddar, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together macaroni, chicken stock and sauce. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese mixture evenly over macaroni and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Source of recipe: Chef Jon Ashton on behalf of Cabot Creamery