Low-Fat Chocolate Mousse
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 6 minutes
Make this low-fat chocolate mousse using fat-free Greek yogurt, egg whites, cocoa powder and dark chocolate.
Source of recipe: Carlene Thomas RD, LD
- 1/2 cup water, plus 6 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 ounces 60% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, plain
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup water and sugar. Heat on medium until sugar has dissolved and bubbles begin to form on the surface. Remove from heat. Beat egg whites in a standing mixer until frothy. Add vinegar and continue to beat until stiff peaks appear. Slowly pour the sugar and water mixture down the side of the bowl into egg whites with the mixer on. Beat an additional 2-3 minutes until thick and shiny.
- In a double boiler on the stovetop, melt the chocolate, remaining 6 tablespoons water and coco powder. Stir occasionally until chocolate mix is glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Once the chocolate mixture has cooled slightly, stir in Greek yogurt. Add a third of the egg whites to the chocolate, folding gently. Add the remainder of the egg whites, folding until mostly combined. Be sure not to overmix or mousse will fall flat.
- Spoon into desired serving dishes (individual ramekins work well) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill at least 5 hours. Serve garnished with berries and fresh mint, if desired.