Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce with Burrata
The creamy tomato cheese sauce is the perfect partner for store-bought meatballs. Topping it with decadent, rich burrata cheese takes it to a whole different level. And bonus, there’s plenty of extra sauce for dipping the crusty, chewy bread in to!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 26-ounce bag frozen cocktail meatballs
- 1 8-ounce container of Burrata
- Salt and pepper
- 24 toasted crostini
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until soft, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over shallot mixture, stirring until well combined. Gradually pour in milk, whisking as you go. Bring up to a low simmer as sauce begins to thicken.
- Add cheese, crushed and sundried tomatoes, stirring until well combined. Gently add in entire bag of meatballs, making sure to completely cover with sauce. Place each of the four Burrata balls on top of the meatballs in sauce. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Serve immediately with toasted crostini.
Ease: Moderate Yield: 12 servings Source: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef