Mini Beef and Cheese Empanadas
Everything you want in a perfect mini handheld “pie”. Simple ingredients paired with a store-bought chimichurri sauce make these delicious empanadas super easy to prepare.
- 1 package (2 rolls) store-bought pie crust
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- olive oil for sautéing
- Egg wash
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup store-bought chimichurri sauce
- Preheat oven to 400° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add chopped onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add seasonings and stir until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Onto a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crust. Using a 3” cutter, cut out small circles. On half of the circle, place a spoonful of the beef mixture, then top with a small spoonful of cheese. Fold the pie crust over the mix then press a fork around the edges to seal the pie crust. Repeat with remaining ingredients then brush all empanadas with egg wash. While baking, combine sour cream and chimichurri sauce in a small serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bake until the crust is golden, about 25 minutes.
Ease: Easy Yield: 2 dozen Recipe Source: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef