Mulled Hot Chocolate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
During the holidays, add aromatic flavor to your mugs of hot chocolate with cinnamon, allspice, and orange peel.
Source of recipe: Chef Scott Campbell, Avenue Restaurant, New York, NY
- 1 quart low-fat chocolate milk
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole allspice or 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Rind from
- 1/4 cup sugar 1/2 orange
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream ((optional))
- Additional orange peel ((optional))
- Cut the skin off 1/2 orange and remove the pith. Thinly slice orange peel and set aside.
- Pour low-fat chocolate milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice and orange rind. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add chocolate chunks and cook mixture over low heat 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate melts. Carefully pour mixture through a metal strainer to remove spices. Stir in vanilla. Pour into individual mugs and top with whipped cream and additional orange peel, if desired.