Parmesan Shortbread with Fig Jam
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Top these tender cheese wafers with fig jam and Parmesan cheese for an elegant appetizer. For the dough to be the right consistency, start with a block of fresh Parmesan cheese instead of buying pre-shredded. You can make the dough in advance, shape the balls, and arrange on the baking sheet. Just before serving, bake the shortbread and let it perfume your whole kitchen.
Source of recipe: Chef Caitlin Steininger
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspooon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 dash Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and frozen
- 1/2 cup fig jam
- Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, cheese, salt, garlic, rosemary, and cayenne pepper.
- Add butter to flour mixture; continue to pulse mixture until it reaches a crumbly, dough-like consistency. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Press down with thumb and then place in freezer for 30 minutes. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pipe about 1 teaspoon fig jam onto each savory cookie and garnish with curls of fresh Parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately.