Parmesan Shortbread with Fig Jam
Top these tender cheese wafers with fig jam and Parmesan cheese for an elegant appetizer. For the dough to be the right consistency, start with a block of fresh Parmesan cheese instead of buying pre-shredded. You can make the dough in advance, shape the balls, and arrange on the baking sheet. Just before serving, bake the shortbread and let it perfume your whole kitchen.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspooon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 dash Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and frozen
- 1/2 cup fig jam
- Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, cheese, salt, garlic, rosemary, and cayenne pepper.
- Add butter to flour mixture; continue to pulse mixture until it reaches a crumbly, dough-like consistency. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Press down with thumb and then place in freezer for 30 minutes. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pipe about 1 teaspoon fig jam onto each savory cookie and garnish with curls of fresh Parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately.
Source of recipe: Chef Caitlin Steininger