Peachy Gouda and Ham Skewers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
This easy no-cook appetizer features fresh Georgia peaches, Virginia ham and wedges of mellow Gouda cheese. You can substitute any mild-flavored semi-soft or hard cheese such as Edam, Havarti, or mozzarella for the Gouda, and if fresh peaches are not in season, you can use plums, apricots, or pickled peaches. The balsamic vinegar adds a rich, tangy flavor to the peaches and cheese, but the skewers are great with or without the drizzle.
Serving size: 1 skewer Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 45; Fat 2.5g; Sat. Fat 1.5g; Protein 3.2g; Carbohydrate 2.8g
- 4 medium peaches, sliced
- 12 thin slices Virginia deli ham
- 1 (7-ounce) round Gouda cheese
- 48 fresh basil leaves
- 24 (4-inch) wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze ((optional))
- Cut ham slices into 24 (1-inch-wide) strips approximately 5 inches in length.
- Remove paraffin covering from cheese and cut cheese into 12 wedges.
- Thread one peach slice, one basil leaf, one ham slice, one cheese wedge, a second basil leaf, a second ham slice, and a second peach slice onto each skewer. Repeat with remaining skewers. Drizzle with balsamic glaze just before serving, if desired.