Pimiento Cheese-Bacon Tailgating Bread
Your guests will be clamoring to devour every last morsel of this indulgent appetizer. Serve the high-flavor bread with a serrated knife close at hand to cut through the bottom of the bread loaf.
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) artisan bread loaf
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 (8-ounce) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) block Monterrey Jack cheese with peppers
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 8 cooked and crumbled bacon slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Cut bread loaf to the bottom, but not all the way through crosswise and lengthwise into 1-inch cubes, using a serrated knife. Place loaf onto a lightly-greased, foil-lined sheet pan.
- Stir together butter, garlic and chives. Gently pull apart bread cubes and spoon butter mixture into crevasses. Repeat over entire loaf. Cover bread loosely with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a box grater, shred cheeses and toss in a large bowl with pimientos, bacon and parsley. Remove bread from oven and let stand 1-2 minutes. Gently pull apart the bread cubes and generously stuff the cheese mixture into bread crevasses. Repeat over entire loaf.
- Return bread to oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Source of recipe: Rebecca Gordon, Buttermilk Lipstick (as seen on "Tide & Tigers Today")