Portobello Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This grilled cheese and portobello mushroom sandwich featuring two types of cheese was inspired by a winning recipe entry from LaPorte, Indiana.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and saute mushrooms, pepper and onion 4-5 minutes or until tender. Assemble sandwiches by spraying outside of each slice of bread with olive oil cooking spray. Place one slice low-fat Monterey Jack cheese on top of the bottom piece of bread. Top evenly with vegetable mixture. Top each with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese and the second slice of bread. Cook sandwiches in nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Source of recipe: George Baley, American Dairy Association of Indiana