Grits Breakfast Bowl
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
Grits, bacon, cheese and milk combine to create this satisfying meal. Enjoy this protein-packed breakfast with a bowl of fresh fruit and a glass of milk for a healthy start to your day. This recipe can be increased to the amount of portions needed, made ahead and refrigerated. Microwave to heat when ready to eat.
Cook time may be 8-12 minutes.
- 1/4 cup dry quick grits
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat or skim milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese (2%), shredded
- 1/2 piece bacon cooked, chopped
- Combine grits and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix until completely blended. Microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt as desired.
- In a small skillet, scramble egg with butter over medium heat until cooked. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place grits at bottom of a bowl, top grits with scrambled egg and sprinkle cheese and bacon over the top.