Grits Breakfast Bowl
Grits, bacon, cheese and milk combine to create this satisfying meal. Enjoy this protein-packed breakfast with a bowl of fresh fruit and a glass of milk for a healthy start to your day. This recipe can be increased to the amount of portions needed, made ahead and refrigerated. Microwave to heat when ready to eat.
- 1/4 cup dry quick grits
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat or skim milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese (2%), shredded
- 1/2 piece bacon cooked, chopped
- Combine grits and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix until completely blended. Microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt as desired.
- In a small skillet, scramble egg with butter over medium heat until cooked. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place grits at bottom of a bowl, top grits with scrambled egg and sprinkle cheese and bacon over the top.
Cook time may be 8-12 minutes.