- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cow’s milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20-22 fresh asparagus stalks, ends trimmed
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3-4 slices thin Prosciutto, torn into pieces
Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. In medium mixing bowl combine cheeses and next four ingredients. Mix together thoroughly; set aside. On a lightly floured work surface unroll sheet of puff pastry and gently roll out to roughly 10 x 15 inches. Place on prepared baking sheet. Use a paring knife to score a line around the perimeter of the pastry, about 1 inch from the edge, then prick the center with a fork several times to keep it from puffing up. Spoon the cheese mixture over the dough inside the scored edges, spreading out to an even layer. Top with caramelized onions in a uniform layer. Lay asparagus stalks side-by-side over the cheese and onions, pressing down gently into mixture. Brush edges with egg wash.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until crust is golden and edges are puffed up. Remove from oven and top with torn pieces of prosciutto. Garnish with fresh basil. Cut into 12 squares. Garnish with fresh parmesan cheese if desired.