- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni, cooked
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
- 3 tablesoons all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Cabot 50% Light Jalapeño Cheddar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
Preheat oven to 400˚ and butter a 3-quart shallow baking dish.
Melt butter in a saute pan and add panko breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Keep stirring over medium heat until golden brown. Let cool and add 1/2 cup of Cheddar until combined.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat and stir in flour, stirring for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly, and simmer.
Whisk occasionally for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining Cheddar, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
In a large bowl, stir together macaroni, chicken stock and sauce. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs and cheese mixture evenly over macaroni and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.