- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 2 cups warmed vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Melt butter in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Stir in onion, carrot and celery. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to release liquid. Remove lid and stir in garlic; cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. Mix in flour, stirring until vegetables are well coated. Gradually pour in warmed milk. Bring to a low simmer for about 5 minutes or until soup begins to thicken. Pour in warmed vegetable broth, stirring until well combined.
In a small bowl, mash one can of white beans with the back of a spoon or potato masher. Add mashed beans, remaining can of beans, corn and green chilies to pot. Add seasonings and stir until ingredients are well mixed. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of cheese and stir just until melted.
Serve in individual bowls and top with remaining cheese and, if desired, fresh chopped cilantro.