Red Velvet Cake Trifle
Your guests will certainly be wowed with this show stopper dessert! Using the hot chocolate whipped cream adds a special touch to the classic dessert. Make it easy by using a red velvet cake box mix. Serve in a traditional trifle bowl or make into individual servings using decorative glasses.
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 batch Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, buttermilk, water and eggs. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Pour into greased 13x9-inch baking pan and bake per box directions. Remove and let cool completely. Cut or break up into small chunks. Cake can be made a day ahead of time.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed with electric mixer until well combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare a batch of Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream. Gently fold Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream into the cream cheese mix. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the trifle, place a layer of cake pieces into bottom of trifle bowl followed by whipped frosting mix. Keep layering until all cake is used making sure to end with whipped frosting.
- If needed, press down on cake layer each time before adding frosting mix to ensure it all fits in bowl. If desired, top with chocolate shavings, chopped chocolate pieces or chopping pecans.
Yield: 12-16 servings Source of recipe: Rebecca Egsieker, The Dairy Chef Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream Recipe