Salsa Mac with Colby Jack
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Go beyond basic mac and cheese by adding tomato, bell pepper, onion, and Colby Jack cheese.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, dice tomato, green bell pepper and onion.
- Drain cooked macaroni and add with tomato and green bell pepper. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, saute diced onion in butter until translucent. Stir in flour and black pepper. Add milk.
- Cook until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni/vegetable mixture to cheese sauce and coat evenly.
- Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Source of recipe: Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D. and mother of three